I guess it helps that I really have no idea what to expect, except for the 2,899m ASL which they've been bragging that we'll have to 'run.' I haven't experienced that kind of elevation so I don't know what are the effects of it on me so I don't know what to fear.
Of course, there's the usual 'hangak' of climbing uphills but it's just going to be 10.5km, and then probably a bloody downhill of 10.5km. It has a 7hr cut-off time. If I'll base my finish time at Columbia Eco Trail which is 4-5 hours for 13km, then I'm guessing I'll finish Kitanglad Race in 8 hours. And, hopefully, I'll still be in top 10 -- either from the top or the bottom.
Following is Kitanglad's race schedule of cut-off time.
Well, Mt. Kitanglad in this picture looks friendly. It definitely does not look harmful. So I'm really not sure what to fear?03:30 AM - Estimated Time of Departure from Accommodations Malaybalay City/Impasug-ong to Race Area
05:00 AM - Final Reminders and Final Checking of Attending Runners
06:00 AM - Start of Race
09:00 AM - Kitanglad Base Camp Cut-off Time
11:00 NN - Kitanglad Summit Cut-off Time
01:00 PM - Finishers Cut-off Time
I'm having more to look forward to:
* first airplane ride ever in my whole life of 30 years!
* first time for me and Mark to be in Mindanao, CDO, Bukidnon!
* first time to experience a 2,899m ASL! (This is my first goal, just to reach the top. The cut-off time in summit is 5hrs -- definitely, I can bring my feet there in 5hrs.)
* first out-of-Cebu trip for me and Mark!
* first climbathon!
* and, lots of firsts!
* Airplane tickets back and forth are booked. I got one-way via promo sale.
* I reserved our accommodation, First Avenue Apartelle, and I got the cheapest room at Php400 no aircon. * I got early registration fees, with early discount, paid.
* Print-out receipt / itinerary
* Print out deposit slip of registration fee payment along with email confirmation, in case race packets are not shipped
* Print out list of accommodations -- in case we need to book another place
* Follow-up / confirm accommodation
* Buy hydration supplies at CDO
I guess, we're all set!